The good age guide to cosmetic clinic treatmentsNews 19 Oct 2015
When people first seek non-surgical aesthetic treatments through a cosmetic clinic such as Aesthetics Lab in North London, they often have a specific procedure in mind. Wrinkle injections and dermal fillers, for example, are often written about in the press and exceptionally well-known, which means that new clients often think these are the treatments they need.
In fact, there are lots of factors that will influence which treatments we recommend. One of the biggest factors is your age. If you’re in your 20s, wrinkle reduction treatments may not be appropriate at all. Instead, we will encourage you to consider treatments that are all about protecting your skin and keeping it healthy and hydrated.
In this week’s blog, we’ve put together a rough guide to which aesthetics treatments best suit which age groups. Of course, there is no one-size-fits-all; we will always want to see you and analyse your skin and individual needs before we make any recommendations, but hopefully, you will find this guide helpful in terms of seeing the scope of treatments available to you:
Cosmetic clinic treatments for 20-somethings
If you’re in your 20s, the chances are that your skin looks good, well hydrated and has the healthy, natural glow we associate with youthful skin. This may not be the time to have wrinkle reduction treatments.
Many of the treatments that we recommend to this age group are designed to keep your skin healthy, especially if you’ve had a few too many late nights, drinks after work and holidays in the sun recently. It’s also common to experience acne in your 20s, so you may be looking for treatments to improve this.
Looking after your skin now will go a long way towards minimising the signs of ageing in your 30s, 40s and beyond.
Typical treatments for 20-somethings:
- Skin peels – stimulate collagen production, hydrate your skin and improve the appearance of acne and acne scars
- Facials – boost your skin health with a bespoke treatment
- Hair removal – forget waxing, plucking or shaving and enjoy smooth, hair-free skin with long-lasting Soprano ICE hair removal
- Lipotripsy body contouring – improve the appearance of cellulite and sculpt your body for a sleeker silhouette
- VitaminDrip – give your body a much-needed treatment that replenishes fluids, vitamins, minerals and amino acids into your bloodstream for 100% absorption
- Body peels – help even your skin tone and treat the signs of sun damage
Cosmetic clinic treatments for 30-somethings
If you’re in your 30s, you may have noticed a few fine lines and wrinkles, or areas of sun damage. For women, this is often a time of hormonal changes caused by contraceptives, pregnancy (in 2014, studies found 30 is the average age women have their first baby) or breastfeeding. As your stores of hyaluronic acid begin to deplete, you may also notice that your skin is losing volume – your cheeks may look less round and you may see hollows under your eyes. This is the time to really step up your skincare.
As well as all of the treatments listed above for the 20-something age group, you may benefit from the following procedures in your 30s:
- Wrinkle injections & dermal fillers – smooth away fine lines and wrinkles by targeting the dynamic wrinkles (caused by facial movement) and/or the static wrinkles (caused by loss of volume) on your face
- Mesotherapy – improve your blood flow, stimulate collagen and elastin production, or break down your fat cells with a formula of microscopic quantities of natural extracts, homoeopathic agents, FDA-approved pharmaceuticals, vitamins and minerals injected into the mesoderm
- Eye and lip peels – target the areas most likely to develop lines and wrinkles with peels specially formulated for the delicate skin around the eyes and lips
Cosmetic clinic treatments for 40-somethings
If you’re in your 40s, the chances are that you’ve noticed the faint lines and wrinkles of your 30s becoming more visible. You may also be aware of the signs of sun damage and hyperpigmentation, and feel that your skin is losing volume.
Although these issues can affect both women and men, it’s women, in particular, who experience skin changes during this decade as a result of hormonal fluctuations and a decline in oestrogen. In turn, this affects the function of key cells in the skin and causes a depletion of collagen, elastin, keratinocytes and melanocytes. Women may also develop an increase in facial hair in their 40s because of the same hormonal changes.
Fortunately, there is still plenty that you can do to enhance, refresh and rejuvenate your skin in your 40s. As well as all of the treatments listed above for 20- and 30-somethings, you might also want to consider:
- Thread Lift – a revolutionary new minimally invasive facelift technique that restores youthful definition to your face, neck and jawline without pain or surgery
Cosmetic clinic treatments for 50-somethings
During your 50s, you may find that sun damage becomes really noticeable; you may also experience age spots, hyperpigmentation and spider veins. Your pores may appear larger than they have before, and you may be prone to dry, dehydrated and flaky skin, as well as an abundance of fine lines and wrinkles. For women, the menopause usually happens within this decade and the decrease in your oestrogen levels slows down sebum productions, leaving your skin dryer and depleted.
This is the decade when your skin will need even more support and tender loving care. There is still plenty you can do to improve the appearance of your skin by focusing on treatments that remove the dead and damaged cells, and by boosting your body’s collagen and elastin.
All of the treatments listed above for 20-, 30- and 40-somethings can be adapted to meet your needs and help you retain an enviable youthfulness.
Cosmetic clinic treatments for 60-somethings
If you’re in your 60s, you may feel conscious that your skin is looser than in the past and that you have more lines and wrinkles; your skin may also feel quite dry. Eating a diet rich in vitamins A and E, as well as drinking plenty of water, can help to keep your skin hydrated.
When treating clients in this age group, we usually recommend treatments that help restore lost volume and lift sagging skin. All of the treatments listed above for the other age groups are suitable for 60-somethings. Our individual approach means that we look at how each treatment can be adapted to meet your needs or used in combination with other treatments and cosmeceuticals.
Whatever your age, if you’re looking for a doctor-led cosmetic clinic, simply fill out our contact form or call us.